Friday, July 4, 2014

And the Hits just kept on comin’

"I don't sing because I'm happy; I'm happy because I sing." - William James

During my years teaching young children, every day included music.  Peter and his guitar; Doug with Orff instruments and sing alongs; my a capella circles closing each day at Curiosity Workshop.  I don’t recall having a didactic (teaching) reason for this.  I think teachers and children just loved to sing together.  Good enough reason.

So, it’s not surprising that singing with my grandchildren happened so easily.  The songs that eventually emerged as Nana’s Greatest Hits are a chronicle of the lives of young children. Though inspired by my grandchildren, friends and family have told me the songs are universally appealing. I hope parents and grandparents everywhere have fun with them.

It all started with a musical mobile over Ethan’s changing table.  We wound it up during diaper changes.  The tune was not even vaguely familiar.  No clue to what the words might be.  So I started singing “Kicking around without your diaper, kicking around without your clothes.”  That was the entire lyric, with variations as the melody changed keys and as it wound down.  Sometimes in a silly operatic voice, then slower and slower till it stopped. Was that one of E’s first smiles?

Then, the Hits just kept on comin’.  As I’ve described elsewhere in this blog, the songs came organically, easily.  Tunes and lyrics intact, most without any editing at all.  The lives of children in songs funny, frivolous and sometimes serious.

Eventually, I’ll produce an MP3 of each song like the one of “Mr. Peanut Butter Face” previously posted on this blog.  What follows could be the “liner notes” of the CD that I always imagined the Hits could turn into.  Hey, maybe that’s what’s happening!

Rice is Nice – a three part round to be sung around the high chair.

I’m Getting Bigger – the Good News/Bad News about growing up.

The Nose Song – grew out of the game of naming body parts that we played.

I Love to Look Up – babies love to point especially when they find cool things on the ceiling.

I’m So Curious --  the great “WHY” game.

The Bubble Bath Song – good, clean fun in the tub.

I Wanna Spend Time With You – some fun things to do and what’s truly important.


You Might Be Far Away – no matter how far away, the heart connection is always & forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment