Friday, June 20, 2014

Longing for Grandchildren

“There is a space between one’s imagination and one’s attainment
that may only be traversed by longing.” Khalil Gibran

Babies and young children were ever present in our big Irish Catholic family.  Girlhood summers in the midwest, spent with my oldest brother Jack and his wife Sue, were all about babies.  At nine or ten, I thought learning to change diapers was part of the fun.  Jack and Sue managed to provide me with a new niece or nephew every year or so for quite a while there.  And each one welcome; each one a treasure.

First, I longed to be a mom

I grew up longing to be a mom and when Tom and Tracey arrived, I was very much fulfilled.  I loved being a mom.  My favorite sport:  Baby Watching.   Later, I loved being a teacher of young children.  By the time I discovered Dr. Maria Montessori’s best advice,  “Let the child be the teacher,” that principle was already resonant in my being.  Attentive Baby Watching is at the heart of all good early childhood education. Dr. Montessori’s great wisdom informed so much more about life both in the classroom and out. 

No wonder in my later life I developed this longing for grandchildren. As soon as my two off spring were happily married to lovely, loving potential parents, I think my imagination started churning. 

Tracey and Bob, started off with two kittens – Buddy and Jim – to see if their parenting styles were robust and compatible.  They were.  And, Tom had raised my first granddog from a puppy, providing nourishment and care for Dusty into her old age.  He and Maura, the youngest of eleven, would be great parents.  So get busy, already!

Ok, while I was waiting (not very) patiently, I still needed a kid.

Paul and Sherrie Corbett came through for me...

Along came Alex:  A bouncing baby boy born to the Corbetts, my special friends at the Center for Spiritual Living.  I went to see Sherrie, Paul and Alex in the hospital and held that sweet little guy in my arms. Alex had two very happy sets of grandparents, but I took advantage of being closer geographically and loved knowing Alex in his earliest years. Let’s say I was his spiritual grandmother…


After Bob and Tracey’s son, Ethan, was born, Alex showed him the ropes of being a kid one day.  Alex was five and Ethan still under a year and crawling when the Corbetts came for a visit.  Alex wanted Ethan to come over to him and he gestured energetically with his hand.  Ethan didn’t seem to understand, so Alex got right down close to him and said very patiently (waving his hand toward himself), “This means come here.” 


Alex Corbett, thank you for helping me through my great longing for grandchildren!  You are the best.

No comments:

Post a Comment